Thursday, August 14, 2008

OLYMPICS

I was documenting a wedding last weekend on 08.08.08 and while walking with the bride and her bridesmaids for portraits, the bride made a comment to her friends on how just four years ago I was covering the summer Olympics in Greece. I looked over to them and said "I could be there right now if I wasn't a wedding photographer." Then the maid of honor said something which made me think, "Well, if you were in Beijing covering the Olympics, you would not be here taking pictures of this wonderful wedding."


You know... she was right.


Four years ago, while in Greece, I provided the Houston Chronicle my two weeks notice. I was leaving the newspaper to start a new business with my wife (Kathleen). I was very nervous and scared when I left the paper and had no idea what to expect. Now I know this is where I belong and everything I have ever done has brought me to this stage in my life. I am very thankful for the experiences of my past and I look forward to future ones.


Thank you Becca for enlightening me on that I should be in the USA and not in China. You are absolutely right.


Below are images from the Olympics in Greece I shot for the Houston Chronicle in 2004.









































6 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW!
The sports shooters world lost a great shooter when you made the big switch!
Those images are amazing!
My favorite is the relay track & field team w/their USA flags. A close 2nd is your self-portrait.
Awesome stuff!
~Carey

Anonymous said...

I love these pictures! I didn't know you went to Greece! Only you could get such an awesome shot by turning the camera on yourself. Hope y'all are well! -- Karen

Kate said...

Chris,
I am continually impressed by your work and your gracious spirit. May you continue to be blessed beyond your imagination, as you do for those around you.

Best,
Kate Foster

Charlotte Wedding Photographer - The Schultzes said...

wow - these are freaking awesome! And great new blog!

Anonymous said...

These are great... I'm glad I got a chance to see them.

Craig

Clark Lara II said...

Hey Chris, it is amazing how much talent you have. Not many people can capture sports and weddings with as much emotion as you do. Great Job!